Highlights of Opal as October Birthstone
Opal’s birthstone month is October, although pink tourmaline is also a birthstone for this month. This gemstone is believed to originate first from the word Sanskrit upala or “precious stone.” However, a second belief of its origins is thought to come from the Greek word, “Opallios,” which means “to see a change in color.”
The October birthstone “opal” is not just given as a birthday gift; it’s also a traditional 14th wedding anniversary gift.
Opal’s “Rich” History
It’s long been believed that India was the first home of the gemstone, where the Sanskrit called it “upala.” The opal birthstone meaning for upala was “precious stone.” The ancient Romans, however, dubbed opal as “opalus.”
- Ancient Greeks believed opal had the power to give one sight of prophecy and protect the wearer from disease.
- Bedouins (nomadic Arabs) once thought opal fell out of the sky during thunderstorms because the stone held lightning.
- Europeans regard this gemstone as a depiction of truth, integrity and purity.
For centuries, and throughout all kinds of civilizations, opal was a representation of all colored stones’ powers and qualities.
What makes opals so valuable is their rainbow hue colors, which many deem as a “play-of-color.” Many writers have likened this “play-of-color” the gemstone gives off to volcanoes, fireworks and even galaxies.
And, according to legend, this gemstone can help improve one’s personal and business relationships.
Where Can Natural Opal Be Found?
Opal is seen in throughout many areas of the world - Brazil, Ethiopia and Mexico, to name a few. However, it’s the Australian fields that appear to produce the most (about 97 percent of the world supply). An interesting aspect of the gemstone found in Australia is that it’s highly resistant to breakage due to its development in sedimentary elements.
People have also discovered opal deposits in the areas of the U.S. central Europe, India, Turkey, Peru and Madagascar.
What Are The Different Kinds of Opal?
Opal is unique because it is found in an array of colors such as black, blue, green red, orange, brown, pink, gray, white and yellow. It can also be a colorless stone. The stone can appear clear, smoky and shiny. Given its color range, it’s no surprise that there are multiple types on the market. However, the three main kinds of opal are:
- Common Opal – This opal, which can be found in numerous places in the world, tends to appear more milky than colorful.
- Fire Opal – This gemstone offers very bright colors – orange, yellow and bright red.
- Precious Opal – This is known as the Rainbow Opal because of its “play of color.”
How Durable Is The Opal Gemstone?
This gemstone is very delicate, with a hardness level range of 5.5 to 6.5. Its coloration is often cloudy but shiny. It contains up to 20 percent water, and if dried out too quickly, the stone could crack. Due to its porous nature, it’s advised not to subject to other liquids… just water.
What Are The 3 Properties Of Opal?
Opal has three fundamental properties – physical healing properties, emotional healing properties as and metaphysical properties. What are each of these properties said to do for the wearer?
Physical Health Properties of Opal
Opal is one gemstone that is said to increase one’s zest and desire for life. It’s believed to physically help the body in the following ways:
- Blood purification and cleaning
- Insulin production
- Release excess water
- Improve eyes, hair, kidneys, memory and skin
Emotional Healing Properties of Opal
Opal gemstone wearers are thought to be emotionally stable, living peacefully with their emotions and love life to the fullest. It’s also said opal helps to increase one’s confidence. It said to assist in the following ways:
- Improves imagination, pleasure, positivity
- Helps increases one’s awareness of themselves
- Develops a person’s emotional balance, sexuality, passion, etc.
- Increases protection and support
- Enhances emotional stability
Metaphysical Properties of Opal
Wearers of this gemstone are thought to be more intuited with their spirituality, improving their consciousness and psychic abilities. It’s believed to help wearers in the following ways:
- Improves one sense of self-worth
- Enhances their spirituality, intuition and spiritual consciousness
- Expand their supernatural abilities, foresight and prophetic abilities
Should You Consider Opal Jewelry?
When it comes to choosing jewelry, there is no doubt how unique, versatile and beautiful opal is. It’s for that reason many jewelry designers will incorporate them into their product. At BlackTreeLab, there is a range of jewelry products with opal as their gemstone, including Opal Engagement rings and various Sacred and Floral Opal jewelry.