What is Oxidized Sterling Silver Jewelry?
There are many ways to treat silver jewelry: gilding, nielloing, rhodium-plating, etc. One of the most popular ways of silver jewelry processing is oxidizing. In this article, we will talk about this very method of silver processing.
Oxidizing silver is a technique in which sterling silver is oxidized with a sulfur-containing solution and becomes gray or black.
AMAZING OXIDIZED STERLING SILVER JEWELRY
WHAT IS BLACKENED SILVER AND WHAT IS OXIDIZED SILVER?
Oxidizing silver is a technique in which sterling silver is oxidized with a sulfur-containing solution and becomes gray or black (depending on the desired color). Simply put, oxidizing is the creation of a dark layer on the surface of the jewelry.
The oxidized item can be completely black or dark gray. Alternatively, the item is polished, in which case the convex parts become shiny. That is, oxidizing is used to express the patterns and details on the jewelry.
The process provides a vintage or antique look to the silverware. Oxidization looks especially beautiful on handmade jewelry such as oxidized silver rings.Interestingly, only the silver is oxidized, as gold does not react with sulfur, so it is useless to oxidize gold jewelry.
HOW TO CLEAN OXIDIZED STERLING SILVER JEWELRY?
Oxidized jewelry needs to be treated with care because it has a coating on it.When cleaning oxidized sterling silver jewelry, it is important to follow a few rules:
1. Do not use detergents such as chemicals, baking soda, toothpaste, powder, etc. All of these can ruin the oxidized parts of your piece.
2. Wipe the jewelry with a special cloth or a soft paper towel periodically.
3. You can also use water and a little soap to get rid of the dirt.
4. Do not use ultrasonic cleaning.
SOME IDEAS WITH OXIDIZED STERLING SILVER JEWELRY
Discover Lifelong Sterling Silver Heirlooms
HOW TO WEAR OXIDIZED SILVER?
Oxidized jewelry does not require any special treatment when worn. However, as with any jewelry, oxidized silver should be treated with care. This will keep it in an attractive state for a long time.
There are some rules to remember when wearing oxidized silver jewelry:
• It is necessary to remove the jewelry during sports and any physical activity.
• Do not shower or wash dishes while wearing your rings.
• Store the jewelry in a box with soft walls.
• Do not expose the jewelry to hard mechanical abuse.
• Avoid bathing in chlorinated and saltwater, as not all parts of the product are coated with oxide.
It is worth noting that oxidized products remain in their original form longer than non-oxidized products. This is because silver oxidizes on its own over time due to the effects of sulfur and oxygen on it. Oxidized jewelry has already gone through this process, so it is much less susceptible to natural oxidation.
HOW TO REMOVE OXIDATION FROM SILVER?
Jewelry that has undergone a targeted oxidation process does not involve the removal of the oxide layer. This is because it is very likely that the oxide will not be removed completely, and the jewelry will permanently lose its attractive appearance.
HOW TO RESTORE OXIDATION ON SILVER?
To restore oxidation that has been damaged or faded, you should contact a professional who will apply new oxidation and polish your jewelry. The frequency of re-oxidation depends on how you wear your jewelry, your maintenance practices, your environment, and other factors. No one can tell you how often you should oxidize your jewelry, just be guided by how it looks.
Oxidizing silver is a process that, in many cases, is simply indispensable for giving a particular look to a piece of jewelry. Many jewelers use this technique and cannot imagine their jewelry without oxidized parts.
So, let's summarize by naming the pros and cons of oxidizing.
• Protects the jewelry from external influences.
• Give the piece a vintage or antique look.
• A longer period between cleanings.
• It is not possible to completely remove the oxide from the jewelry.
• Items require special care when cleaning.
Kindly note that healing gemstone meanings are not prescriptions or healthcare information.
We ship worldwide with Express Delivery services
High Quality and Genuine Materials result in lifetime warranty
Jewelry Ethically Handmade with respect to Nature and People